- For the convenience of our returning visitors, we’ve created a page with latest web apps listed in reverse chronological order.
- Occasionally, our web hosting service is down. Visitors can access this page but all of our web apps (which use our nutrient databases) are not accessible. In that case, please use our 2 partner websites: health-diet.us and foodhealth.info. Just make sure the web apps are located on their servers by checking their urls.
- A few more companion food databases for popular diets have been added:
- A new food database with resistant starch score for thousands of foods, most suitable for carb lovers who want to lose weight.
- Choose healthy fast foods using our nutrient database for American fast food restaurants.
- For endurance athletes, a carb loading food database for effective store of glycogen.
- Gallbladder diet food list based on NIH guidelines for gallstone sufferers and post gallbladder removal surgery.
- Unique lean-protein foods database: foods high in protein and meet the USDA and FDA standards of being lean.
- First food database for How to Gain Weight. We calculate a convenient Weight Gain Index for foods to make it easy to see how much each food contributes to your weight gain.
- Nutrition analysis software for Windows released: we are making all of our nutrient data (including the popular Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load database) available for the Windows PC platform. Software can be purchased for immediate download. See our continuously updated catalog here: DietGrail Nutrition Analysis Software for Windows.
- Meniere’s Disease Diet low-sodium, low-caffeine diet to manage Meniere’s disease symptoms based on NIH guidelines.
- Herpes simplex nutrition, the best foods to help manage symptoms of herpes based on NIH and University of Maryland Medical Center’s guidelines.
- Eating for Better Brain, directory of food sources for Terry Wahls’s diet: Defeating Progressive MS without Drugs with the Wahls Protocol™.
- Latest USDA food database is online: this nutrition counter is more convenient, flexible and easier to use than the USDA nutrition calculator itself. User can choose the nutrients to display instead of being overwhelmed with irrelevant data. Especially useful to nutrition professionals and students.
- Read online or download one of the best nutrition textbooks for free: Kansas State University Human Nutrition by Brian Lindshield, professor of nutritional sciences. See: KSU Human Nutrition Flexbook Info.
- The Swiss Food and Nutrient database is now online. This database with a flexible nutrient selection feature is available in German, Italian and French:
- Protein Quality of 5,000 Foods, essential for comparing plant vs. animal proteins and for choosing the optimal protein food sources for your diet.
- Unique Low Acid Diet / Alkaline Diet database: acid & alkaline ratings for nearly 7,000 foods. First of its kind.
- DietGrail’s Low Carb Diet Handbook. The indispensable guide to effective low carb diet practice is now available:
The Handbook’s companion webpage is: Low Carb Diet Handbook. This Handbook is specifically prepared for use with Gary Taubes’s Why We Get Fat and other low carb diet variations. In addition, we’ve also published a companion food database for the New Atkins for a New You diet.
- In our opinion, one of the most significant diet books of 2011 is Gary Taubes’s Why We Get Fat: And What to Do about It.
In Taubes’s earlier book: Good Calories, Bad Calories, he argues that the best diet is one loaded with protein and fat and very low in carbohydrate. Plant foods allowed in these successful reducing diets are those low in percentage of carb weight relative to food weight. Our Gary Taubes – Low Carb Diet Handbook and nutrient webpage are the essential companions to these most important treatises on low carb diet.
Joel Fuhrman’s Eat to Live is one of the best-selling diet books. We provide an easy to use, searchable and sortable food database tailored specifically to Fuhrman’s diet. This is an indispensable tool for those who adopt Fuhrman’s dietary principles. Nutrient density of foods are evaluated based not on food weight but on their caloric content. Make your own optimal food choices using objective data rather than subjective estimates.
Online database for easy food selection for Moreno’s diet.
Online database for easy food selection for Paleo Solution diet.
- Forks over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
Online database for plant-based diet.
Reports from the National Institutes of Health comparing the effectiveness of the Atkins, Ornish, Zone, LEARN and Weight Watchers diets.
Robert Lustig, Professor at UCSF School of Medicine, gave one of the most watched lecture on YouTube: Sugar: The Bitter Truth to expound the toxicity of sugar in diet. We have a Sugar Content of Foods database that allows you to conveniently evaluate the sugar content of 7,000 food items. In addition, a Fructose Counter, with fructose, sucrose and glucose data on about 500 most common foods.
A unique caffeine counter to help you find out whether you are overdosing yourself with coffee. Caffeine is both a drug and a food additive. Caffeine is used in both prescription and over-the-counter medicines to treat tiredness or drowsiness and to improve the effect of some pain relievers.
The first food database and nutrient analysis tool designed exclusively for the vegan diet. Veganists will find this online tool tremendously useful for evaluating nutrient contents of vegan foods. Users can search for foods by name or browse them by food categories. Foods can be sorted by names or by nutrient contents. Graphs show the quality of foods in terms of mineral and vitamin contents. Foods high in sugar, saturated fat, or protein, fiber, etc., are noted to make food choice exceptionally easy.
Washington Post: A big Harvard project that for the first time details how much weight individual foods make people put on or keep off. The findings add to the growing body of evidence that getting heavier is not just a matter of “calories in, calories out.”
Among all the foods studied, potatoes stood out. Every additional serving of potatoes people added to their regular diet each day made them gain about a pound over four years. It was no surprise that french fries and potato chips are especially fattening. But the study found that even mashed, baked or boiled potatoes were unexpectedly plumping, perhaps because of their effect on the hormone insulin.
Check out our online potatoes vs. nuts database specifically prepared for use with the Washington Post article about the Harvard School of Public Health study.
One of the world’s most complete online searchable food databases that contain glycemic index and glycemic load data. We have glycemic index and glycemic load values for more than 3,700 food items. Foods can be searched by names and sorted by glycemic index or glycemic load. Foods are also color-coded by their glycemic index values making it effortless to identify desirable foods. This is an indispensable tool for those who want to adopt the glycemic index diet.
Our Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load of Foods, 2nd Edition in paperback is now available for purchase at CreateSpace. Click to see sample pages. The Kindle ebook version is also available on Amazon: DietGrail Publications on Amazon
The only online searchable vegetarian diet food database with glycemic index and glycemic load ratings. If you are vegetarian, this is the most convenient food database to look up glycemic ratings of foods. Food can be search by names or browse by categories such as Vegetables, or Grain Products, etc. Non-vegetarian foods have been removed from the database to make searching and browsing results most relevant to your needs.
For the convenience of veganists, the DietGrail vegetarian food database is further refined to contain only vegan foods.
Online whole foods, plant-based food database for Caldwell Esselstyn’s Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease diet.
Alphabetical list of food databases for various health requirements or medical conditions:
- Acid Reflux Diet
- Akaline Diet – Low Acid Diet
- Alzheimer’s Diet
- Arthritis Diet
- Atkins Diet
- Bodybuilding Nutrition
- Celiac Disease and Osteoporosis Nutrition
- Colon Health Diet
- Constipation Diet
- Crohn’s Disease Diet
- Diabetes Nutrition
- Diverticulitis Diet
- Fibromyalgia Diet
- Geriatric Nutrition – Diet for the Elderly
- Heart Diet
- Hemorrhoids Diet
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Diet
- Ketogenic Diet
- Kidney Transplant Nutrition
- Kidney Stone Diet
- Low Carb Diet
- Low Fat Diet
- Low Residue Diet
- Mediterranean Diet
- Meniere’s Disease Diet
- Osteoporosis Diet
- Pancreatitis Diet
- Peptic Ulcer Diet
- Prostate Cancer Diet
- Prostatitis Diet
- Raw Food Diet
- Renal Diet
- Sports Nutrition
- Ulcerative Colitis Diet
- Vegan Diet
- Wilson’s Disease Diet
All nutrient counters below allow searching and sorting a database of about 7,000 foods unless otherwise noted.
- Alcohol Content in Foods and Drinks
- Antioxidant Content of Foods
- Beta-cryptoxanthin Content of Foods
- Betaine Content of Foods
- Caffeine Content of Foods
- Calcium Content of Foods
- Carbohydrate Content of Foods
- Cholesterol Content of Foods
- Choline Content of 4,157 Foods
- Copper Content of Foods
- Disaccharide Content of Foods
- Fat Content of Foods
- Fiber Content of Foods
- Fluoride Content of 561 Foods and Drinks
- Folate Counter
- Fructose Content of 1,251 Foods and Drinks
- Galactose Content of 1,098 foods
- Glucose Content of 1,252 Foods
- Iodine Content of 1,009 Foods
- Iron Content of Foods
- Lactose Content of 1,232 Foods
- Lutein and Zeaxanthin Content of Foods
- Lycopene Content of 4,632 Foods
- Magnesium Counter
- Maltose Content of 1,220 foods
- Manganese Content of 6,215 Foods
- Monosaccharide Content of Foods
- Monounsaturated Fat Content of Foods
- Net Carb Content of Foods
- Omega-3 Food Sources
- Omega-6 Food Sources
- Omega-3 Omega-6 Ratio
- Omega-9 Oleic Acid Food Sources
- Oxalate Content of Foods
- Phosphorus Content of Foods
- Phytochemicals Content of Foods
- Plant Sterol Content of Foods
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content of Foods
- Potassium Counter
- Protein Counter
- PRAL Acidity Ratings of 6,941 Foods for Low-Acid or Alkaline Diet
- Purine Content of 350 Foods
- Retinol Content of Foods
- Salt and Sugar Ratings of Foods
- Saturated Fat Content of Foods
- Selenium Content of Foods
- Sodium Content of Foods
- Sodium / Potassium Ratio of Foods
- Starch Content of Foods
- Sucrose Content of 1,250 Foods
- Sugar Counter
- Theobromine and Caffeine Content of Foods
- Thiamin Content of Foods
- Trans Fat Content of 2,150 Foods
- Vitamin A Content of Foods
- Vitamin B-1 Content of Foods
- Vitamin B-6 Content of Foods
- Vitamin B-12 Content of Foods
- Vitamin C Content of Foods
- The Complete Vitamin D Food Sources
- Vitamin D Content of 4,635 Foods
- Vitamin E Content of Foods
- Vitamin K Content of Foods
- Vitamin K2 Content of Foods
- Water Content of Foods
- Zinc Content of Foods
Essential amino acid databases:
- Histidine Content of Foods
- Isoleucine Content of Foods
- Leucine Content of Foods
- Lysine Content of Foods
- Methionine Content of Foods
- Phenylalanine Content of Foods
- Threonine Content of Foods
- Tryptophan Content of Foods
- Valine Content of Foods
Other nutrient databases: